Thursday, June 28, 2007

Title Match

Everybody on TV is talking about the showdown between Elizabeth Edwards and Ann Coulter on MSNBC last night. I think Elizabeth did a great job while showing that you can have class and still participate in the political process. For years, I have been waiting for someone to tell Ann Coulter that what she does is not called for or journalistic. Hopefully, the message will get across this time.

The whole thing got me thinking about the role of political spouses. The Democratic spouses seem to be more and more involved every cycle. This year the big spouse stories have been: Elizabeth Edwards' cancer, Michelle Obama giving up her high-powered job, and of course, the possibility of a first gentleman. The question for me is how much should/does a political spouse affect the voters' decisions?

As an aside, Ann Coulter was in Charlotte just a few months ago for the Southern Evangelical Seminary program. I cannot imagine what she added to the spiritual discussion.

Cross posted at BlueNC.

Editor's note: I changed the post time on this for editorial reasons.

3 comments:

Aint Katie said...

"For years, I have been waiting for someone to tell Ann Coulter that what she does is not called for or journalistic. Hopefully, the message will get across this time."

Nope, not gonna happen. The meaner she becomes, the more press she gets and the more books she sells and the more "speaking engagements" she has. As much as I admire Elizabeth Edwards, and as much as I smile at the thought of her taking on Coulter, I also feel kinda sad that Elizabeth "bit"..that she gave Coulter another opportunity to do what she does so well. I can easily imagine a young Coulter tearing the wings off flies, and grinning. And then hurting cats and dogs, and grinning. Now, she says outrageous, hurtful, slanderous crap about anybody and everybody she thinks the crowd she's in front of will appreciate. And she grins while doing it. She tosses her hair, crosses her legs..look at me, see me..and grins. Nope, she's not learning anything..she's in her own bliss. I knew her kind in grade school, I knew her kind in high school, and I know, now that I am older, that some folks just never change.

micandacam said...

I agree that in the end Ann Coulter will never change. And television ratings mongers will never change. But maybe someone out there heard Elizabeth stand up and say this isn't right. Then they know that there are people of substance in politics. People worth listening to.

Aint Katie said...

"I agree that in the end Ann Coulter will never change. And television ratings mongers will never change. But maybe someone out there heard Elizabeth stand up and say this isn't right."

What I hope is that someone who heard her finally woke up and felt shame. Shame for watching somebody like Matthews who pimps for somebody like Coulter. Shame for being drawn to the lowest level for "entertainment." Shame for enabling the bullies of the world.